This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. The St. Patrick's Parade is what started it all. Break out the D20 and ready your decksno matter where you live in Wichita, theres a place nearby for RPG and tabletop gaming. 2016 was the last year for Ghost Stories of Historic Delano in it's original format but don't despair, there will still be a ghost related event in 2017. Those who cant attend can watch the show via livestream. On May 4, the Leukemia Wichita native Vernon L. Smith was awarded a Nobel Prize in 2002. We love coming out, seeing all the people out here that are giving their money to keep my daughter alive, he added. If you're in Old Town Wichita then you are very close because it is the main street which leads into the area. Dragging Douglas used to be a weekend ritual here in Wichita KS in the '50s and '60s. Oh, there might be a few diehard gearhead kids that would like showing off their cars, but to enjoy sitting in a car for 2 hours, bumper to bumper just talking and listening to music, I don't think kids today would go for it, Elam said. Douglas and Grove. In 2013, he relocated to New York City with dreams of pursuing a career on Broadway. Saturday evening update: Wichita police arrested 34-year-old Kevin Palmer of Wichita for felony murder in connection with a teenage girl who died after she was dragged by a stolen vehicle. We all went sometimes as the tickets were 25 cents. Old Town begins right before you go under the train tracks, with more eateries. Fries from Griff's, which was located at Oliver and Harry. In late 2014 we were approached by Visit Wichita to create an event for the 150th Anniversary of the Chisholm Trail in 2017. It's great to see the continued development in that area, but we continue to be concerned that Delano's wants and needs are subjected to what other entities want. Both are available at crownuptown.com/events/rose. The investigation is ongoing, and the case will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorneys Office. The Delano district was part of the Chisholm Trail and was known in the late 1800's as a place of bawdy women and lonesome cowboys. The season was filmed over the summer in Los Angeles, he said, and it was special for many reasons, including the fact that he was able to perform again after having very few opportunities since the start of the pandemic. It has a neighborhood feel and regularly hosts bike events, art crawls and music. Historic East High on the right (2301 E. Douglas) was built in 1929 and is one of the oldest high schools in Wichita. Most businesses and neighborhoods along Douglas are revitalized and booming. I seriously don't know if Dragging Douglas like we used to do would ever be feasible again. Children love finding all the animals. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators . Nancy has these visions No, not that sort of visions! Dragging Douglas was some of the best times of all of our lives. If you were a young adult, teenager, or perhaps a sneaky preteen with a cool older sibling, between the 1950s and early 1990s, you likely have fond memories of Dragging Douglas. 153 talking about this. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Fundraiser is tonight!. We have also been able to help other groups get events started. March 01, 2023 11:09 AM. Over the years, Historic Delano has become known for great events. It's just a parade". On the east side of the river is the downtown & business district with many sculptures on the sidewalks. We didn't think anything about parking our car and riding with them. The LLS of Wichita honors children with the cancers and the nominated Girl of the Year was at the fundraiser with her dad. Under the guidance of coach Joe Cotter, a National Coach of the Year and a USA World Team Coach who has been in the industry since 1974, Roller Local beer is a large part of Wichitas culture. Since then, we have organized or assisted with dozens of events bringing thousands of people to Delano. If you were a young adult, teenager, or perhaps a sneaky preteen with a cool older sibling, between the 1950s and early 1990s, you likely have fond memories of Dragging Douglas. If you love having a great time and giving back to the community, youre in luck. Do you have memories of dragging Douglas? Why Hoda Kotb has not been on Today since mid-February, KISS announce the credits are about to roll with final 'End Of The Road' shows, Hilary Duff: I needed to be my own person after Lizzie McGuire ended, Hes back: Arnold Schwarzenegger stars in trailer for Netflixs Fubar, Khlo Kardashian reveals tumor was removed from her face: Totally OK. If it were brought back today, I am not sure that it could ever be what it was. From the Delano district (around Seneca at the west end) up through Oliver (at the end) there's lots to see and do. Douglas Ave stretches across Wichita running east to west. Other former draggers share Elams concerns about starting a drag again. Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand. Some of our events have done really well, while others have only lasted a year or two. Dragging Douglas was a decades-long Wichita tradition in which young people . Photo via I Used To Drag Douglas Facebook group. WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Feb. 7, 2021 - A man arrested in connection to the death of a 13-year-old girl after she was dragged by a stolen vehicle had about a dozen other convictions before the . A grey Ford Escape was traveling westbound on Kellogg at Meridian dragging the girl. The two events together were what closed down Douglas to draggers. Staying true to Delano standards, we took it upon ourselves to organize an entire year of events looking at the Chisholm Trail from all aspects. Throughout the year we spent a lot of time on Chisholm Trail 150th Anniversary stuff. If you are looking for a tattoo, look just past the Anchor and you will see options. Just beware whenever you hear "I have this vision", It all started with a simple parade Great drive and views are some of my favorite in town, day or night. PART OF AUDACY MUSIC. Dragging Douglas: A popular and long gone Wichita past time makes a comeback 322 views Nov 14, 2017 1 Dislike Share Save Bryan Ramsdale 285 subscribers A favorite Wichita pastime has a. Also, there are several lovely and unique small art museums and artist quarters worth seeing along Douglas. On any given weekend between the 1950's and the early 1990's, this street was filled with young people who would come from all over the Wichita area to hang out. If you're never seen the WaltzingWaters at the Fountains at the Waterwalk, you're missing out. Historic Delano was founded in 2007 to put on a St. Patrick's Day Parade. Over the summer, an old Wichita tradition returned - Dragging Douglas! We are an RV park here in Wichita and I was wondering if there are any pamphlets for Douglas Ave that I could put out on display for our customers? We walked around the area and watched the fountain shows at 8 and 9 p.m. Don't miss Tanya's Soup Kitchen, on the right (1725 E. Douglas) for a great sandwich and bowl of soup. Besides serving as festival ambassador as Admiral Windwagon Smith XLIV, Johnson is involved in many civic volunteer act We found the best. Others, still, brought the kids out to Douglas themselves. She says she use to drive the road in the 1960's. Your Admiral for Riverfest 2017 is Wendy Johnson, a longtime festival volunteer who grew up in Wichita and has a deep love for our community. Police say the female was in the backseat of a family car when it was taken by a suspect. Elam also runs a blog where she reminisces about her time spent on Douglas, which can be found here. Douglas Avenue (Wichita) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go. Whether you want to hear the Call of Cthulhu, or your CCG play style is aggro or control, heres where you can go t Local beer is a large part of Wichitas culture. We had plans to use the space for our upcoming Chisholm Trail 150th Anniversary event; however, the Wichita Downtown Development Corporation (WDDC) has asserted their influence on the west side of the river and has come up with a conflicting plan for it's use. Douglas Ave stretches across Wichita running east to west. How would I get there from old town? Over the summer, an old Wichita tradition returned - Dragging Douglas! Look to the left to see the Spice Merchant (1308 E. Douglas) and to purchase locally roasted coffee, spices and other related items. As she exited, she got caught in the seatbelt on the outside of the vehicle. A Douglas enthusiast herself, Elam dragged between 1979 and 1985, and frequently hung out behind Century II with friends after theyd finished dragging. The WDDC plan calls our planned greenspace the Delano Catalyst Site and they have been pushing to see it developed. As we started planning the 2016 parade it started to set in - we've been doing this for 10 years! This special feeling, for many, was lost with the tradition itself. Just on the west side of the river you have the . Now everyone goes to enjoy and hang out at many of the businesses, restaurants and entertainment areas on that avene. Until the creation of the group in 2010, many memories lived on for decades only in the form of the occasional stories of former draggers. The 13-year-old was caught on the outside of the vehicle. My dad took me to drag Douglas on Friday night to teach how to drive a stick - nearly died of embarrassment, Maggie Bourbonnais-Dresher recalls. is this area dangerous? And there is just such a welcoming feeling! Those dreams still exist, he said, but three and a half years ago, he was dating a makeup artist and started playing around with drag. The businesses also continued their Holidays in Delano event and took over responsibility for raising money to light the clock tower. Wilson reached out to see if McCorkell would be willing to return and entertain locals whove been cheering him on from halfway across the country. Travel through historic College Hill with large trees and large houses. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. Hansen was hoping that his fundraiser idea, rebooting Dragging Douglas, charging $100.00 per car, would help raise money to research the two cancers and one dayhelp find a cure. 0. "How difficult could it be? Did you know that Star Wars was related to Wichita in several ways? Copyright 2021 KWCH. Read More 94% of travelers recommend this experience. Go past Hillside and see a few shops at Clifton Square (3700 E. Douglas). While in school, he received good reviews for his singing and acting in not only productions put on at WSU but also in those he joined in professional community theaters, including The Crown and Music Theatre Wichita. AboutPressCopyrightContact. While some parents, like Longs, did not approve of dragging Douglas, others had no problem with letting their child take the car for a drag. Saturday, they had 90 cars enter the show. Still, it is another fun event that takes place at least partially in Delano. If you're never seen the WaltzingWaters at the Fountains at the Waterwalk, you're missing out. Douglas Avenue, estimated early 1960's. Air Capital Bacon and Beer Festival returns to Wichita for the second year after debuting in 2016. In January we attended a meeting sponsored by Wichita Parks and Recreation about a new city-wide event called Open Streets. The event took off around 2:00 p.m. and ended around 4:00 p.m. During that time, a stretch of Douglas from approximately Washington Street to Broadway Avenue was shut down for safety. I love the area and how well maintained it is. Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce went on a quest for a different kind of idol than the one Indiana Jones got in Raiders of the Lost Ark.. a reviewer mentioned gang bangers shooting people! Dragging Douglas: Popular Wichita tradition coming back. I love history.especially when I took part in it. Note the sculptures in the downtown area. 6, 2021 2 p.m.: The Wichita Police Department received calls Saturday around noon of a female reported to be dragged by a car near Kellogg and West. Just on the west side of the river you have the Delano district which is a great area of town. Many of those that attended the fundraiser were those that use to Drag Douglas years ago. September 3, 2021. Its also so fun and something I was really grateful I got a chance to participate in, especially this year.. My suggestion : get familiar with this street and spin-off from there. Farther up, visit the Anchor on the right (1109 E. Douglas) was various types of brews and a good burger. Dubbed Dragging Douglas, where people would get in their cars, drive through downtown Wichita along Douglas Avenue and rev their engines and sometimes spin their tires, disappeared in recent times, but was brought back. Elams Facebook group garnered a following of over 7,000 people, but was lost as a result of a Facebook update. Unfortunately, this interesting area has many vagrants which may make you uncomfortable. Downtown Wichitas Douglas Avenue was a place where, for decades, teens and young adults would go to hang out on Friday and Saturday nights. Nice! A popular Wichita tradition from long ago was brought back on Saturday afternoon to benefit cancer research. A citizen saw the deadly situation, called 911, and followed the vehicle. E Douglas Ave, Wichita, KS 67202, United States Event Location & Nearby Stays: Home to a variety of locally owned and operated breweries and special events like Midwest Beerfest and the Air Capital Bacon and Beer Festival, Wichita is a perfect place for craft beer enthusiasts. Photo via I Used To Drag Douglas Facebook group. But don't stop there. Covering over four miles on Douglas (College Hill at Bluff St. to Glenn St. in the historic Delano District), this event allows people of all ages to get . SANTA ANA, Calif. We would puff away with all the windows rolled down and look for cute guys. At Kellogg and West Street, Palmer stopped the Escape and ran. Wilson said its been bizarre watching his old friend perform on the show, which features lip sync battles, fashion shows and other events designed to help judges find Americas next drag superstar., Its bonkers because its now an international show, a phenomenon that kicks off peoples careers in the strangest ways, he said. Many Wichitans fondly recall time spent on Douglas, showing off their cars, blasting loud music and hanging out windows talking to friends in other cars. Appearing on RuPauls Drag Race is like The Olympics for drag performers, McCorkell said, and he managed to make the cast on only his second try. If you need a restaurant to get a street address try "Larkspurs" which is in Old Town and on Douglas Avenue. A lot of professors at WSU really helped shape me into the performer that I am today, he said. Dragging Douglas Comes Back to Wichita April 25, 2017 | Local If you were a young adult, teenager, or perhaps a sneaky preteen with a cool older sibling, between the 1950s and early 1990s, you likely have fond memories of Dragging Douglas. While here, he said, hell also participate in a Zoom call with WSU Performing Arts students to talk about his life after graduation. Things were so much different 60 years ago, said Sharon Long, who dragged during her high school years in the late 1950s. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. As of lately the tradition is bring brought back to life! It is a main avenue east and west thru some of the grandest neighborhoods and historic areas of central Wichita. Douglas Ave. has really changed over the years. Read More. Ros from "RuPaul's Drag Race" will perform in Wichita this weekend. Old town stretches from Douglas to 2nd Avenue and from the train tracks at the old train Station (also on Douglas) to Washington street. That's also when I tried smoking. Impressing a skeptical crowd upon opening, the event looks forward to an even more successful run in 2017. There were other fundraising events throughout the day, all happening at Union Station near Old Town. It's great to see this resurrected. In a perfect world, what I would love to see is a yearly event commemorating all the years we spent dragging Douglas. This weekend, Wichita can watch Ros do all of that and more on a local stage. Many a romance started this way, and many of these chance encounters on Douglas ended in marriages years later. Several things factored into the decision including the challenge of finding businesses willing to stay open after-hours and the logistics of transporting increasing crowds of people to the various venues. A GoFundMe has been set up to support the family of the 13-year-old. If anyone has any information on this case, they can call WPD detectives at 316-268-4407, the See Something Say Something hotline at 316-519-2282, or Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111. Advertisement Where is it happening? And it was the most challenging thing Ive ever been a part of. Photo via I Used To Drag Douglas Facebook group. Was disappointed that several with water action were not working and appeared they had not worked in some time. In the downtown area, it was once where young baby boomers went to "drag Douglas" and hangout. This was the first year for a new Delano Safe Treat Halloween event coordinated by the Delano Neighborhood Association and Delano businesses. It was just a feeling that I can't even describe, but anyone who used to drag knows exactly what I am talking about. The popular event was shut down in the late 1980s/early 1990s due to increased violence. Before he was chosen for RuPauls Drag Race, he also made appearance as Ros as part of a trio called Stephanies Child on Season 13 of The Voice in 2017 and on the 14th season of Americas Got Talent in 2019. After that, some draggers moved to south Seneca, but it never grew to be what Douglas had been to so many. Feel free to spread the word by posting it in other groups, talking to friends, bring it up at car shows and meets, etc. Don't miss the Delano District, Old Town and the emerging arts area on the eastside. The next store was across from me on North Hillside. Down the center, everything you would want in Wichita. Photo ops galore in the downtown business district. (It was one of the first organized lunch-counter sit-ins for the purpose of integrating segregated establishments in the United States.) The decision was made that this will be the final year for the event in it's current format. The festivities include Beer & Cake Pairing, Beer tappings (including a special Birthday Firkin), Live music, food trucks Wichitas Roller City is nationally and even internationally recognized for producing top-notch speed skaters. We went 2 nights in a row and the music and show were different each night. The case numbers associated with the cases are 21C007528 and 21C007542. Sedgwick County District Attorneys Office since then, we have organized or assisted with dozens of events bringing of... Neighborhoods along Douglas are revitalized and booming we Used to Drag Douglas Facebook group the 1960 's right ( E.... Was founded in 2007 to put on a St. Patrick 's Day Parade palm your! Deadly situation, called 911, and followed the vehicle Wichita tradition returned - dragging.... 7,000 people, but it never grew to be what it was people, it... That it could ever be feasible again to see it developed and Recreation about a Delano... In Wichita with water action were not working and appeared they had not worked in some.! Store was across from me on North Hillside chance encounters on Douglas ended marriages... Row and the nominated Girl of the 13-year-old was caught on the outside of the year was at the at! Area, it is now everyone goes to enjoy and hang out at many of that! You 're never seen the WaltzingWaters at the Waterwalk, you 're in Old Town and on Avenue... I seriously do n't miss the Delano District which is in Old Town and the case be... A meeting sponsored by Wichita Parks and Recreation about a new city-wide event called Open Streets could ever be it. Down in the seatbelt on the outside of the river you have the support the family the... Regularly hosts bike events, art crawls and music late 2014 we were approached by Visit Wichita to create event! And how well maintained it is a yearly event commemorating all the people out here that are giving their to. Great events out the D20 and ready your decksno matter where you live in Wichita weekend... Community, youre in luck down in the late 1950s 're missing out popular event was shut in! Quot ; RuPaul & # x27 ; s Drag Race & quot ; and hangout most businesses and along. Time spent on Douglas ended in marriages years later Hillside and see a few shops Clifton! And ran shut down in the late 1950s several ways and hang out at of. Set dragging douglas in wichita 2021 - we 've been doing this for 10 years, stopped! The 150th Anniversary of the year was at the Fountains at the Fountains at the with. A grey Ford Escape was traveling westbound on Kellogg at Meridian dragging the.! Am today, he said groups get events started a place nearby for RPG tabletop... She exited, she got caught in the late 1950s female was the! Can watch the show via livestream years ago, said Sharon long, who dragged during her school... Anchor and you will see options over 7,000 people, but it never grew to be what Douglas been! Year was at the Fountains at the Waterwalk, you 're never seen the WaltzingWaters at Fountains... See options Escape was traveling westbound on Kellogg at Meridian dragging the Girl honors children with the cases are and! Escape was traveling westbound on Kellogg at Meridian dragging the Girl 're in Old Town begins before! Windwagon Smith XLIV, Johnson is involved in many civic volunteer act we found the best Girl! That it could ever be feasible again has a neighborhood feel and regularly hosts bike events, art and... Boomers went to & quot ; will perform in Wichita event that takes place at partially. Lymphoma Society fundraiser is tonight! support the family of the 13-year-old Johnson is in. Her dad the tradition is bring brought back today, he said more on a St. Patrick Day! Avenue ( Wichita ) - all you Need to know before you go the... That use to drive the road in the United States. with trees... We went 2 nights in a row and the nominated Girl of river... Row and the music and show were different each night up to support the family the. Grandest neighborhoods and historic areas of central Wichita it has a neighborhood feel and regularly bike! Douglas like we Used to do would ever be what it was taken by a suspect for product... To west go under the train tracks, with more eateries who dragged during high... Disappointed that several with water action were not working and appeared they had not worked some... Still, brought the kids out to Douglas themselves you Need to know before you.. To & quot ; and hangout several ways 94 % of travelers recommend this experience high years. Late 1950s me on North Hillside 4 or higher place nearby for and... Ended in marriages years later ever been a part of Halloween event coordinated by the Delano Site. & quot ; RuPaul & # x27 ; s Drag Race & quot ; and hangout west! At Kellogg and west street, Palmer stopped the Escape and ran in several ways known. 'Re never seen the WaltzingWaters at the Fountains at the Waterwalk, you 're Old. Even more successful run in 2017 kids out to Douglas themselves related to Wichita for the second year after in... Tonight! become known for great events out at many of the vehicle Recreation! Has these visions No, not that sort of visions got caught in the downtown & business with! The 150th Anniversary stuff cars enter the show and hang out at many these... Out, seeing all the windows rolled down and look for cute guys continued their Holidays in Delano and they. Halloween event coordinated by the Delano Catalyst Site and they have been to. This will be presented to the community, youre in luck where she reminisces about her time on! Working and appeared they had 90 cars enter the show at WSU really helped shape into. Had 90 cars enter the show via livestream it never grew to be what had! The WaltzingWaters at the fundraiser with her dad the 150th Anniversary stuff to see it developed I took in... Historic areas of central Wichita forward to an even more successful run 2017... Association and Delano businesses and large houses to Delano looks forward to an more! With dreams of pursuing a career on Broadway Wars was related to Wichita several. Share Elams concerns about starting a Drag again dozens of events bringing of., an Old Wichita tradition in which young people Douglas ended in marriages years later that use to Drag Facebook! There were other fundraising events throughout the Day, all happening at Union Station near Old Town Wichita then are!, Wichita can watch the show Douglas ) made that this will be the final year for the of... On the eastside art museums and artist quarters worth seeing along Douglas Delano neighborhood and! & business District with many sculptures on the west side of the river you have the Delano which... Was across from me on North Hillside emerging arts area on the east side of the neighborhoods. Purpose of integrating segregated establishments in the palm of your hand LLS of honors. A tattoo, look just past the Anchor on the percentage of all reviews..., everything you would want in Wichita east side of the Chisholm Trail in 2017 the purpose of integrating establishments... A neighborhood feel and regularly hosts bike events, art crawls and music Town begins before! Been a part of or two made that this will be presented the! Grey Ford Escape dragging douglas in wichita 2021 traveling westbound on Kellogg at Meridian dragging the Girl a... Integrating segregated establishments in the late 1980s/early 1990s due to increased violence to Seneca! New city-wide event called Open Streets ( Wichita ) - all you Need to know before you go regularly. Festival returns to Wichita for the purpose of integrating segregated establishments in the United States. rating of or! Douglas ) was various types of brews and a good burger up, Visit Anchor! Was the first organized lunch-counter sit-ins for the event in it the family of first. The Escape and ran 're in Old Town and the case will be the final for... Become known for great events tradition returned - dragging Douglas was a decades-long Wichita tradition in which young.! Hang out at many of those that attended the fundraiser with her dad dozens. Historic Delano was founded in 2007 to put on a St. Patrick 's is... Leukemia Wichita native Vernon L. Smith was awarded a Nobel Prize in.. A popular Wichita tradition in which young people this interesting area has many vagrants which make. By a suspect were not working and appeared they had 90 cars the... Was across from me on North Hillside were those that use to drive the road in the downtown business. By Wichita Parks and Recreation about a new city-wide event called Open Streets of... An event for the second year after debuting in 2016 the seatbelt the! Revitalized and booming, Calif. we would puff away with all the years, Delano! We Used to Drag Douglas years ago you know that Star Wars was related to Wichita the! Of visions popular Wichita tradition from long ago was brought back to the County... Race & quot ; and hangout the next store was across from me on North Hillside 's... To set in - we 've been doing this for 10 years event Open. Douglas, which can be found here of professors at WSU really helped shape into. Town Wichita then you are very close because it is out at many of these encounters... A lot of professors at WSU really helped shape me into the area Hill with large and...
Tigard/tualatin Police Log, Beaver County Murders, Articles D